DURING THE RESTORATION OF THE MENIN GATE, THE LAST POST CEREMONY WILL CONTINUE TO TAKE PLACE EACH DAY AT 8.00 P.M..
- The restoration of the Menin Gate will start in April 2023. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission aims to complete the works in approximately 18 months, and no longer than two years.
- The structure and stability of the Memorial are in good condition, however erosion and superficial damage have been found which need attention to avoid further deterioration.
- The Menin Gate will not be fully accessible to the public for the entire duration of the works. To ensure the safety of the workers and visitors, scaffolding and hoarding is required. A passenger tunnel will provide easy access to and from the city.
- The daily Last Post Ceremony will continue according to its normal format and will take place under the Gate, unless the works make this impossible. In that case, the ceremony will move to the bridge (near the Menin Gate Lions). Thanks for following the guidelines of the Last Post Association. Be sure to read our FAQ’s for more information.
- Is remains possible to lay a wreath and to participate as a band/choir/piper.
- Visitors will not be able to access many of the names on the Memorial. Please use the Last Post App to do so or visit the CWGC Information Centre, near the Menin Gate. (Menenstraat 33, Ieper).
- The parking for coaches near the Menin Gate (Hoornwerk) will still be accessible.
- Don’t miss your chance to see the Menin Gate Moments Exhibition, located on the ramparts beside the Gate. Free access.
For more information, please visit the website of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.